The Town of Newfane Assessment Department is responsible for several functions, some of which are to:
- Locate property and collect inventory data
- Notify property owners where and when data is available
- Determine ownership of all property and maintain those records
- Value Property
- Process Exemptions
- File Assessment roll
- Prepare and submit annual reports to the Office of Real Property Services
Please be aware, the Assessment Department does not determine taxes. They are the sole prerogative of your elected bodies and are the result of annual budgets set by local municipalities and Town School Boards. A property assessment is the mechanism used to identify each owner’s share of the budget or tax burden. It is the job of the assessor to provide property assessments for all types of uses that are a fair and equitable representation of property values across the town.
- March 1 - Taxable Status Date
- March 1 - Deadline for filing exemptions including STAR
- May 1 - Tentative roll filed, Change of Assessment Notices Sent
- 4th Tuesday in May - Grievance Day
- July 1 - Final Roll filed
Tax Information for Schools
Each school district collects its own taxes. If you have any questions regarding a school tax bill, you should contact your district directly. Below are the phone numbers for the three school districts within the Town of Newfane.
- Newfane Central - 716.778.6858
- Barker Central - 716.795.9111
- Wilson Central - 716.751.9341 Ext 122
Tax Information for Town and County Tax
Each January one bill is issued for the Town and County Tax. This bill consists of
Special District charges from the Town of Newfane for services such as Fire Protection,
Garbage pickup, Lighting, Water, and Sewer (if applicable) along with a County tax
rate and a County water rate. The Town of Newfane currently does not have a Town Tax. Tax bills are sent out by the Town of Newfane Tax Collector for parcels only within the Town of Newfane. The Tax Collector is available during collection dates of January through the end of March at the town hall (check tax department for more details).